Planning for Your Move
Use Our Moving Timeline to Start Planning Your Move
Preparation, having a workable moving timeline, and getting good advice is the key to success when planning a move to a new area. The following information should help you get started.
3 WEEKS BEFORE LEAVING:
- Tour your house and decide which items may be discarded, donated, or sold at a yard/garage sale.
- Arrange for school records to be transferred.
- Begin using perishable food items since they cannot be transported.
- Use flammable items or give them away before you move. They cannot be transported.
2 WEEKS BEFORE LEAVING:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge accounts, credit cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks
- Friends & relatives.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city.
- Arrange Credit reference.
- Notify company of new location for coverage; Life, health, fire, auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel, cable TV.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, newspaper; change-over of services.
MEDICAL, DENTAL, PRESCRIPTION HISTORIES
- Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays. Obtain birth records, etc.
CHURCH, CLUB, CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS
- Transfer memberships; get letters of introduction.
- Find churches near your new residence.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
ON MOVING DAY:
- Carry enough cash or traveler’s checks to cover the cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in a new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Carry traveler’s checks for quick, available funds.
- Let a close friend or relative know the route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops; use him/her as message headquarters.
- Make a final check of every room and storage area.
- Leave all old keys needed by the new tenant or owner with a REALTOR or neighbor.
AND DON’T FORGET TO:
- Empty freezer; plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Have appliances disassembled for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them moving-wrapped.
- Check with your Moving Company regarding insurance coverage, labor, arrival day, and payment.
AND AT YOUR NEW ADDRESS:
- Check on the service of telephone, gas, electricity, water, and cable TV.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, incinerator, and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask letter carrier for mail; they may be holding for your arrival.
- Have a new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register family in your new place of worship.
- Register children in school.
Streamline Your Moving Timeline with Relocation Solutions
We are the best solution for all of your relocation needs. Relocation Solutions is there for you during your moving process. Follow our moving timeline suggestions for an easy move, and contact us with any questions.